Tuesday, August 14, 2007

CONFESSIONS OF A SEAFOOD HYPOCRITE


Nobody likes to admit that they’re a hypocrite, but I am one. I am a seafood hypocrite. I have had a strong aversion to ordering seafood anywhere except when I’m near the coast. Being in Destin this week, I’ve been enjoying seafood every evening. Last night I enjoyed a delicious Tuna Steak, the night before that it was filet of Halibut. (I ate it “just for the halibut!”)
Tonight I enjoyed the all-you-can-eat Snow Crab Legs at Elmo’s Seafood Restaurant on highway 30A. My son-in-law, Jason Holman, M.D., holds the record there (19 sections at one sitting). I didn’t threaten his record tonight, but I did manage to go through about eight sections. Yum. Yum. I love tuna, halibut, and snow crabs!
So why am I a hypocrite? Because the halibut was from Alaska, the Tuna was caught off the coast of North Carolina, and the Snow Crabs were from the waters near Alaska. Why is it that I’ll order seafood that has been flown in thousands of miles when I’m at the beach, but not in Tyler? I dunno. Maybe it just TASTES better here at the beach.
There are several really good restaurants in Tyler where I’m sure the seafood is as fresh there as it is here in Destin. My friend, Ken Hunnicutt, used to joke when we were eating at restaurants in Tyler, “you can order the fish here, because they fly it in fresh every day from Abilene!”
I know in my mind that fish is much healthier for me than beef, but my seafood hypocrisy has prevented me from eating more fish when I’m at home. The exception to my seafood hypocrisy has been enjoying fried catfish in Texas – but that’s not really SEAfood is it? I think it’s more like PONDfood or something.
I’ve come to realize that my seafood hypocrisy is a blind spot in my life that has prevented me from eating healthier. I really believed that seafood HAD to be fresher at the beach … but that just isn’t necessarily the truth. I’ve seen the light.
As followers of Jesus, I believe we should constantly be examining our lives to see if there are any areas where improvement is needed. After being subjected to protracted religious scrutiny by some of the members of the church at Corinth, the Apostle Paul fires this salvo toward the end of his second letter, “Examine yourselves to see if you be in the faith. Prove your own selves.” (2Cor13:5). Regular self-examinations are more important that regular health examinations.
If this was a blind spot in my life, I probably have several others of a more serious nature. I’ll ask the Holy Spirit to shine His spotlight and help me find them as well. Meanwhile, I’ll see you at the Red Lobster back in Tyler!