Sunday, August 26, 2007

THE 2008 ELECTION PUZZLE

Are you as puzzled as I am?

Obviously, the 2008 Presidential election is a critical piece yet to be inserted in the jigsaw puzzle of our culture. The election is still 436 days away, but the candidates are raising millions of dollars and already trying to get their message out to the public.

Frankly, I’ve been a staunch conservative republican for as along as I can remember. I must confess that I did vote for Jimmy Carter in 1976, because of his “born again” claim and his confession that he had “lusted in his heart.” He made that revelation in an article in Playboy ..I didn’t read the actual Playboy article by the way.

I think Ronald Reagan was a great president. I thought George Bush (the President’s dad) was one of the most compassionate, caring men we’ve ever elected. I still can’t figure out how Clinton beat him, unless it’s because George didn’t finish the job in the First Iraq War .. or maybe it was really was “the economy, stupid.” I didn’t vote for Bill Clinton, and I was the founder and chairman of an loosely organized group called “Pastors for Bush” in 2000 and 2004.

However, like many conservatives, I was disappointed that a Republican-led legislative majority with a Republican in the White House couldn’t seem to muster enough votes to address issues like Health Care Reform, Immigration, crime and the war on poverty. I also know the Democratic minority did everthing to prevent Republican legislation. Since, 2006 when the Democrats won majorities in the House and Senate, it's the same story, only the names have been changed to protect the political.

It all reminds me of a definition of "politics" I once heard. "Poly" means "many" and "tics" are "blood sucking insects!"

Even now, as I listen to some of the front running Republican candidates, I can't get excited about any of them now. Both Rudy Giuliani and John McCain have less-than-ideal personal lives, and they both lean toward pro-choice positions.

I think Mitch Romney is a pretty good guy, but some of my friends who are former Mormons insist that Mormonism is straight from Satan.

Mike Huckabee, the former Baptist preacher, has a good platform – but something tells me that America would be reluctant to elect another former governor from Arkansas!

Anyway, this is the first time in my blog that I’m ASKING readers to comment back to me on WHO you think will be the best President in 2008, and WHY. So, if you’re out there, let me hear from you! You can even leave annonymous comments. And if I don't hear from anyone, I guess that means nobody is reading this anyway!